Thursday, October 23, 2008

Missing

What is "missing"? What makes us miss things? I miss my mom, but not all the time. Same for Monie, my brother, my grandma. I even miss things like fields and my cat and my bed and how my house smells and the mess. I really miss the mess. It was more carefree than my life here will ever be. But what exactly am I feeling when I miss these things? What do I want? Cause I don't want to move home. Do I want those things to come to me? I don't really know. What about missing people? Sometimes people are missed even though you just saw them. I heard this quote once that said it's not about the time or the distance; it's about that one moment when you wish they were there. Is that it? Is it about wanting someone's presence? And what does that do for people? I mean if my roommate and I are home and neither of us are talking to each other, how is that different than being alone? Is it the idea that you could talk to someone if you wanted? What is it about being alone that scares so many people? I mean there's this one philosopher a long time ago, I can't remember which one because I'm learning about too many, but he says that to remain happy he had to be away from people. I think I'm very much the same way. Then why do I miss people? What is it about people that makes me go out of my way to make them happy, or to keep them in my life? Especially the ones that don't make me happy. The ones that I have fun times with, but in the long run I end up being hurt by them a lot. Why do I miss that? What about it do I miss?  Is it the familiarity? Is it the sense of belonging? I wish I understood what I am missing. Because I don't think it's people. It's something that people are doing for me. Something I can't pin point. But if I ever could pin point it could I ever make myself stop missing it? Could I find a replacement? I know many people that stop missing things. A few of my good friends stopped missing me. Why can't I stop missing them too? What am I missing? I hope I can find it soon. Because this is affecting me way more than it should be.

No comments: