Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Happiness: Ideal or Illusion?

Is happiness the ideal? Is happiness the thing we are striving for? Is the point in life to be happy?

The first thing I thought of was the scripture, "Men are that they might have joy." Does it say "men are that they might always have joy"? I'm not saying it's unrighteous to be happy. I'm saying it's not unrighteous to not be happy.

We live in Happy Valley. To most people from Happy Valley it's a compliment. To any mormon outside the bubble it's a punchline. Do you know why? Because it's fake. Who really wants to pretend to be happy? Wouldn't we all rather just be happy?

The state of Utah is ranked 1st out of 51 states for depression. And 6th for suicide. Does this sound like happiness?

In my women's studies class we were talking about how media influences the way we think and how it has power to determine the "norm". I know this sounds terrible, but I think mormon media comes from church leaders. I don't think they themselves are trying to make themselves seem like they are the norm, but they are the face of the church, and so LDS women think that is what it means to be an LDS woman, and anything else is wrong.

Elder Wirthlin said in General Conference, "How can we love days that are filled with sorrow? We can't--at least not in the moment. I don't think my mother was suggesting that we suppress discouragement or deny the reality of pain. I don't think she was suggesting that we smother unpleasant truths beneath a cloak of pretend happiness. But I do believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life."

Nephi lamented at the death of his father. He was terrified of the mantel that had fallen on his shoulders. Was he being unrighteous?

Alma cried for his people when they wouldn't repent. Remember the "Oh that I were an angel, that I could cry repentance unto this people." Was this unrighteous?

Christ turned tables in the temple because he was angry that they were desecrating His Father's house. Was this unrighteous?

Like I said, it's not unrighteous to be happy. But this idea that we, especially as women, cannot be anything but happy is a cultural norm, not doctrine. And the more of us that fall into the trap the further we are from overcoming it. And the more we idealize people or worship people who are like this, the more prevalent it will become. Let's strive to be more like Christ and be good members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints instead of trying to just be good mormons.

No comments: